Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:37:54 +0100

Hi Kieren,

Am 14.11.21 um 15:00 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
There just is no uniquely identified print form using a note in the
denominator for that time signature representation.
As I’ve explained several times, there is.

I don't think you're right.

It's well possible that I'm missing the point completely, but here's my take:

When Thomas Adès switches from 4/4 to 4/5, there is no way of knowing which "graphical" note length (combination of notehead style and flag count) is supposed to be used for the basic unit (of which 4 make up a bar, and of which five equal the duration of a semibreve).

In written scores, that's not a problem: You can just count in a printed bar to find out what X is in "four X's make up a bar", and in the Adès scores I have seen, it was usually X = crotchet. But there's no way of knowing that beforehand.

That problem always bugged me with this style of notation.

Lukas