Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 09:22:43 -0500

Hi David,

> Since they are the same, I have no idea how you arrive at the conclusion
> that it is possible to have one work but not the other.

You’re not extrapolating the concept, as I have been asking people to, so I’ll
once again make it more explicit for you:

I want the user to be able to say

    \tweak style #'note-denom \time 3/4.
or
    \tweak style #'note-denom \time #'(3 . "4.")
or
    \tweak style #'note-denom \time #'(3 . {4.})

or basically any other intuitive input that would allow a dotted duration for
the denominator, which would pass through the parser to the TimeSignature
formatting function(s) without “loss” (as per Aaron described it).

Unless I’ve totally misunderstood this thread, none of the three inputs typed
above will work without parser changes, possible backwards compatibility
problems, etc. But I’m happy for you to tell me that I’m wrong, and that one of
them can work with minimal developmental effort.

— Kieren

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: kieren@kierenmacmillan.info