Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 12:17:42 -0500

Hi Jean,

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under
> the impression that the semantics of this
> new feature should be quite different
> from the usual \time.

I don’t know about "*quite* different"… but possibly *somewhat* different.

> We usually interpret
> 6/8 as (4. + 4.) because (4 + 4 + 4) has
> the representation 3/4. If you write 6
> over an eight note, you're not meaning
> (4. + 4.) because you could have written
> that as 2 over a dotted quarter note.
> So you really mean (8 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 8).
> Correct?

I suppose that’s one way to frame it. But isn’t that just

    \time #'(1 1 1 1 1 1) 6/8

? i.e., are the semantics of the feature different before or after the user
interface layer?

Same, TBH, with \compoundMeter: In a perfect world, wouldn’t we want the option
to write

   \time #'((3 . 4) (3 . 8))

instead of having a whole separate function? Why *wouldn’t* we want a \time
function that handles all possible time signatures?

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info