Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 13:38:55 +0200

Am Montag, dem 12.04.2021 um 10:00 +0200 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 9:36 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
> >
> > Am Montag, dem 12.04.2021 um 09:28 +0200 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> > > Not being able to use 64-bit addressing on Windows with GUILE 1.8 is
> > > an extremely serious problem. What is the reason for this? Is it
> > > because dynamic loading doesn't work correctly, and GUILE tries to
> > > load SRFI modules as .dlls  ?
> >
> > No, the dynamic loading works on Windows (after all, how would 32 bit
> > work otherwise?) The issue is that 64 bit on Windows uses a very weird
> > ABI and long's are 4 bytes whereas pointers are 8 bytes. Guile isn't
> > prepared to handle this, and the integrated GC fails in wonderful ways
> > on this issue. If you want to know more, there's quite a bit of
> > material just one search away.
>
> I did a search, but clearly not the right one :) - do you have some pointers?

https://github.com/slowphil/mingw-w64-guile1.8/blob/master/X86_64_building.md
is pretty easy to find. I don't have more links right now, but I seem
to remember some post on guile-devel from some years ago?
My commit logs for the work-in-progress binary build says that I
eventually succeeded in compiling, but then experienced division by
zero errors, if that information helps...

Jonas