Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 19:53:20 +0100

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 08:11:37PM +0200, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
LilyPond development wrote:
> So, that was the main question of the message (sorry if that got hidden
> in the lengthy text and many numbers): What is "reasonable"? I think
> the numbers I showed are reasonable, but that's certainly subjective.
> Yes, they are slower than Guile 1.8 but there'll be a trade-off at some
> point.

I don't know if my opinion counts, but...

Based on the numbers in this thread and the ones from the recent thread
with the Guile developer (? whose name escapes me) I think we should
move to Guile 2.2 (i.e. make it the default and stop supporting 1.8) as
soon as reasonably possible and just accept the deterioration in
performance.

I don't think we have much to gain by continuing to wait: Guile has
already moved on to version 3 so we cannot expect performance problems
with 2.2 to change much or go away.

The only alternative seems to be Han-wen's suggestion of forking Guile
1.8. I don't know all of the implications of that. Lots of downsides
are immediately apparent for developers, but on the other hand everyone
is affected by performance so maybe we should give it serious thought.
(But again: if there is agreement that this is not the right course then
I see no reason not to immediately abandon 1.8.)

Kevin