SMuFL support: matching glyph names 1

From: Owen Lamb
Subject: SMuFL support: matching glyph names 1
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 11:50:26 -0700

Hi all!

I've been working on matching Emmentaler's glyphs to SMuFL glyph names, and I'd appreciate some input on what I have so far.

Attached is a spreadsheet with my plans for naming the Clef, Time Signature, Number, and Accidental glyph categories, as enumerated at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/the-emmentaler-font. The SMuFL names were taken from the Standard Music Font Layout Specification, v1.4, found at https://w3c.github.io/smufl/latest, under the Glyph Tables heading.

I'm looking especially for input from folks who have experience with the Stockhausen accidental system, as well as whoever knows the background behind and usage of our accidentals.mirroredflat.backslash and accidentals.flatflat.slash glyphs. Everyone's advice is welcome, though!

If all goes well, this message will be the first of several like it, as I determine what to name every Emmentaler glyph under the SMuFL system.

(As a reminder, this will /not/ override the current glyph naming scheme; it /will /be providing an alternate way of locating glyphs within LilyPond and give other programs a way to access Emmentaler's glyphs via the SMuFL system.)

After a few days, if no one's made any objections, I'll move on to the next few glyph categories.

Regards,
Owen