Re: Doc-string with newline character

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Doc-string with newline character
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2021 14:06:53 +0100

Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> writes:

> Am Do., 31. Dez. 2020 um 21:04 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>:
>>
>> Come to think of it: on top of using ~s here, wouldn't it also be
>> necessary to quote characters @ { } by preceding them with @ ?
>
> My knowledge of texinfo is rudimentary.
> After a quick glance over doc-strings from our source it seems @{ and
> @} are only used _inside_ of @code{ ... }.
> @@ only once and as (@@ module-name binding-name), i.e. no texinfo.
>
> This makes me think it is not needed to add @ to { and } outside of
> @code{ ... }.
> I may be wrong, though.
>
> 5.4.6 Syntax survey -> Special characters
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/syntax-survey#special-characters
> is not specific in this regard, though.
>
> Anyway, in `doc-markup-function-properties` from
> scm/document-markup.scm only the property-names are set into @code{
> ... }
> Those or all either symbols or procedures. If my above assumption is
> correct, then we're fine there.
>
>> Maybe scm/documentation-lib.scm should contain a function for that?
>> Something
>> like texi-quote or so?
>
> You mean something like `ps-quote` from scm/framework-ps.scm?
>
> Cheers,
>   Harm

File: texinfo.info,  Node: Special Characters,  Next: Inserting Quote
Characters,  Up: Insertions

12.1 Special Characters: Inserting @ {} , \ # &

'@' and curly braces are the basic special characters in Texinfo.  To
insert these characters so they appear in text, you must put an '@' in
front of these characters to prevent Texinfo from misinterpreting them.
Alphabetic commands are also provided.

   The other characters (comma, backslash, hash, ampersand) are special
only in restricted contexts, as explained in the respective sections.

* Menu:

* Inserting an Atsign::         '@@', '@atchar{}'.
* Inserting Braces::            '@{ @}', '@l rbracechar{}'.
* Inserting a Comma::           , and '@comma{}'.
* Inserting a Backslash::       \ and '@backslashchar{}'.
* Inserting a Hashsign::        # and '@hashchar{}'.
* Inserting an Ampersand::      & and '@ampchar{}'.

File: texinfo.info,  Node: Inserting an Atsign,  Next: Inserting Braces,  Up:
Special Characters

12.1.1 Inserting '@' with '@@' and '@atchar{}'

'@@' produces a single '@' character in the output.  Do not put braces
after an '@@' command.

   '@atchar{}' also produces a single '@' character in the output.  It
does need following braces, as usual for alphabetic commands.  In inline
conditionals (*note Inline Conditionals::), it can be necessary to avoid
using the literal '@' character in the source (and may be clearer in
other contexts).

File: texinfo.info,  Node: Inserting Braces,  Next: Inserting a Comma,  Prev:
Inserting an Atsign,  Up: Special Characters

12.1.2 Inserting '{ '}' with '@{ @}' and '@l rbracechar{}'

'@{' produces a single '{' in the output, and '@}' produces a single
'}'.  Do not put braces after either an '@{' or an '@}' command.

   '@lbracechar{}' and '@rbracechar{}' also produce single '{' and '}'
characters in the output.  They do need following braces, as usual for
alphabetic commands.  In inline conditionals (*note Inline
Conditionals::), it can be necessary to avoid using literal brace
characters in the source (and may be clearer in other contexts).