Re: xdvipdfmx:fatal: Unable to find TFM file "latt1095".

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: xdvipdfmx:fatal: Unable to find TFM file "latt1095".
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 11:17:35 +0100 (CET)

>> > But please generate the files in the build directory by
>> > specifying --destdir (and use them from there), putting things in
>> > a cache directory located in the user's $HOME directory is IMHO a
>> > very poor default choice...
>>
>> Why?  IMHO those two TFM files are to be handled *exactly* the same
>> way as all other generated files by TeXLive, which puts things by
>> default into a directory tree in $HOME.
>
> On my system, larm1095 and latt1095 are the *only* fonts that end up
> in $HOME.

I think you either don't use TeX a lot, or your use-cases are very
restricted.  As soon as I update TeXLive, I have to regenerate the
format files by `fmtutil-user`, which are all stored in $HOME.
Similarly, I have to regenerate various `.map` files by calling
`updmap-user` to integrate my private fonts into TeX.  Even for direct
LilyPond work I need some local files: To view the `fetaXXX.dvi` proof
sheet files the bitmap font `black.600pk` and its metric file
`black.tfm` must be generated.

> And for that reason, I think that building LilyPond on a fresh
> system should leave nothing behind after purging the build tree.

I strongly disagree.  It's definitely not LilyPond's job to decide
where the TeX system stores its internal files.  In other words, the
build infracture has to adjust this, to be handled outside of
LilyPond.

    Werner