Re: Summer of Code inquiry

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Summer of Code inquiry
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 12:01:03 +1100

Re contemporary notation, I disagree with this. I work professionally on New Complexity School scores, and every composer has their own notation and preferences and idiosyncrasies. Other contemporary schools all have their own individual styles. We are nowhere near standardisation of the sort that applies to Common Era music. I have a Scheme library of code for my engraving that took fours years to develop in conjunction with my composer colleague. It's completely meaningless for anybody else. I don't know of many composers settling on Lachenmann notation, and indeed, many composers refuse to settle on a standard as part of their entire aesthetic. I think this is why the contemporary notation project has stalled - there is no and will not be any uniformity to make it worthwhile.

I'd suggest you look at other aspects of LilyPond to work on, sincerely. Maybe something really practically useful like MusicXML work.

I thought MAX is not open source, but a quite expensive commercial program from Cycling74?

https://cycling74.com/shop

Does not really fit the open source world of LilyPond, even though one library project may be open source.

Or you could fix Issue 34!

Andrew