Issue regarding Graphviz and local compilation

From: jordankusel
Subject: Issue regarding Graphviz and local compilation
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 20:49:32 +0000

Hi Devs,

First time poster here - I'm looking to modify some LilyPond features for a
personal project I could see being useful to others in the future, assuming my
goals are feasible for my current software skillset. I've successfully
downloaded/compiled the source code according to the Contributor's Guide.
However, when I try running `sudo make install` from the created/configured
`/build` folder as outlined in the guide, the installation fails at `Making
lily/out/lexer.cc`, saying `make: option requires an argument -- 'C'`. I
believe I've followed the instructions to a T and even tried overriding
`../configure` with `--prefix=/usr/local` to declare this explicitly. Ideally,
I'd like to install using the method outlined in section
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/tracing-object-relationships
 to enable the use of Graphviz for familiarizing myself with the codebase.

I am building from the most recent LilyPond master branch, cloned from Github,
on Ubuntu 18.04. Please let me know if this is an appropriate post for the
listserv or if any further information is needed.

Thank you!
- Jordan