Re: A proposal of organize music paragraph layout by a new DSL

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: A proposal of organize music paragraph layout by a new DSL
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 10:00:06 -0500

On Nov 15, 2020, at 05:20, K.L. <k.l.lambda@gmail.com> wrote:

> We can define a new DSL to express all kinds of repeat types, including
> volta, volta-alternative and *D.C. al Fine* and so on. For some examples:
. . .

> Via this, exact MIDI performing for D.C. & D.S. can also be done.

I doubt that it is necessary to increase complexity so much to take care of
typical D.C. and D.S. repeats.  I've had it in mind to try adding a new repeat
type, \repeat segno N {…}.  It would lay out the music like a volta repeat, but
using the appropriate marks and jump instructions rather than volta brackets
and repeat bar lines.

About a "D.S. al (crosshairs) e poi la Coda" layout in general, Gould says that
"the example above may be difficult to negotiate" and encourages considering
whether writing out the sections in full might be better for
rehearsal/performance (Behind Bars, p.239).
—
Dan