Re: experimental code on Gitlab (bend-spanner repository)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: experimental code on Gitlab (bend-spanner repository)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 10:19:46 +0200

Am Mi., 23. Sept. 2020 um 23:46 Uhr schrieb Federico Bruni <fede@inventati.org>:

> Il giorno mer 23 set 2020 alle 20:57, Thomas Morley
> <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> > Ok, ok, I will revise the code and probably extend functionality to
> > cover bends in Voice-contexts.
> > If I'm satisfied I'll put up a MR.
> > Though, I doubt I can start before mid-octobre...
>
> Wow, this is the news I've been waiting for years.
> I look forward to testing your code.
>
> Thanks
> Federico

Hi Federico,

see:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/473

There are some changes in usage.

- A BendSpanner is now started with \^ and ends automatically at the
next suitable note or chord (the \startBend ... \stopBend pair is
gone).
- For skipping a NoteColumn use \override NoteColumn.bend-me = ##f or
use the provided shortcuts: \skipNC, \skipNCs, \endSkipNCs.
- Tied notes are no longer special cased, you'll need to manually skip
them. This is a little loss, I didn't manage to stop the bend
automatically, implement skipping NoteColumns _and_ respect tied notes
in a satisfying way.
- \bendStencilTweak is gone, instead use \bendStartLevel with an
integer argument, if needed. As the name suggests you'll need to use
it only for the first of multiple consecutive bends (in some cases),
for follow up bends this value (setting details.successive-level) is
maintained by the engraver.
- The BendMeEngraver is joined with the BendSpannerEngraver in
Bend_spanner_engraver

Known limitations:
- The engraver is not part of the default TabVoice. The interplay with
context-property defaultStrings (usually unset, though) causes
warnings.
- There's still no convincing functionality for Voice-context. No time
left in my autumn-break ...

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,
  Harm