Re: font problems

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: font problems
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 18:34:01 +0200 (CEST)

> If I understand correctly, LilyPond needs to find the HaranoAji
> font, but Ghostscript does not need to find it.

OK.

> In Texinfo PDF building, you don't need Japanese fonts if only the
> included figure PDFs use the Japanese fonts.

Yes.

> If you want to use Japanese characters in the text instead of PDF
> figures of Texinfo, you need the Japanese font.

Correct.

> Of course, it is required that Fontconfig can find the HaranoAji
> font.

The thing is that this doesn't happen automatically if you install a
TeXLive package.  On the other hand, if you install a font that is
provided by a GNU/Linux package manager (like `rpm`), it is available
to both LilyPond and xelatex.  Thus I think that maybe Source Han is a
better choice.

> Most environments do not have Japanese fonts.  How about using
> generic font names (e.g serif and sans-serif etc.)  for Japanese
> font fall back?

Exactly this I want to avoid.  The idea is to have reproducible builds
as much as possible, so I want to specify all fonts in the PDF
documentation.

> This selects the generic serif font if the environment that doesn't
> have the HaranoAji font.
>
> ```
> \override #'(font-name . "HaranoAjiMincho-Regular,serif")
> ```

Appending 'serif' is a good idea for people who are going to compile
the LilyPond tarball directly, and who don't mind if the resulting PDF
is slightly different w.r.t. fonts.

    Werner