Re: on branching...

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Re: on branching...
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 14:33:16 +0200

Am 05.10.2020 um 13:49 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
Hi all,
Hi Jonas,
tomorrow marks exactly one month since Han-Wen's proposal to have a
freeze of 3 or 4 weeks for stabilizing [1]. While not everybody agreed
with that plan, I think it has worked pretty well in practice and there
has been no big disturbance AFAICT. Instead many fixes landed, but in
my opinion none of these required extensive changes for fundamental
problems.
I'm aware that there are more pending fixes, and I totally expect more
issues to be discovered. It's certainly possible that these might need
more elaborate fixes than those in the past month, but I don't see
evidence for that.

That said, I believe it would be reasonable to create a stable branch
and start picking fixes into that as needed. Before diving into the
details, I'd first like to know if there's still disagreement on this
starting point? If so, I'd love to hear how to move forward
I'm fine with creating a stable branch now. Sure, it may be that there are
still lots of problems there, waiting to be uncovered. But debating whether
we need more testing at first does not help, when we do not have
enough people to do it. I think the most important thing is to
get as many people as possible to use the unstable builds in
real life, on different OS, with real, large scores etc.
I think the biggest issue in this regard is our documentation, which
is not maintained as good as our code base, IMHO.

Thank you for bringing this topic up again.

Cheers,
Michael