Compiling Japanese snippets.pdf fails

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Compiling Japanese snippets.pdf fails
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 23:50:23 +0200

Hi all,
I'd like to resume my work regarding upgrading texinfo.tex [1] from June.
However, one problem leads to another (as usually :-)) and the
peacefully failing XeTeX
without comprehensible error messages is not exactly helpful für debugging.
Anyway, I got the latest texinfo.tex from the Texinfo Savannah repo, put it
into $SRCDIR/tex/ (together with texinfo-ja.tex and txi-*.tex), applied
the attached patch
to get PDF output also in Czech, Chinese and Japanese and fearlessly
tried a 'make doc'.

That failed on ja/snippets.pdf.

I went back to the old texinfo.tex versions, but it did fail even
earlier, on ja/notation.pdf.
What I noticed is that the Documentation/ja/snippets.tely added by
Han-Wen in
f195919ddc84154c3ddd31caf4685908a95185aa
had \input texinfo at the beginning, which should likely be
\input texinfo-ja

But that did not help in sorting out the compilation failure.
After manual bisecting I could track the problem down to the
"Flamenco notation" snippet in the section "Fretted strings".
If the Japanese texidoc file is included, XeTeX bombs out.
Find the file attached for reference.

Does anybody have a clue what could be special about this particular
file? Hosoda-san?

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2020-06/msg00033.html