Re: issue verification

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Re: issue verification
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 13:07:28 +0200

Am 18.09.2020 um 11:15 schrieb Phil Holmes:
I don't know if this isn't clear, but just to state the original point
of verifying issues.

If the change is claimed to fix a bug, we compile the previously buggy
code with the release in which the bug is claimed fixed and check that
the bug is no longer there.  It it has really disappeared, we change
the status of the issue from Fixed to Verified.  i.e. we are certain
that the bug is no longer there.

If the change is to provide updated functionality, then it can be
really quite hard to verify the new functionality, and in any case the
patch review system should do that.  So we simply check the patch was
pushed into the claimed build.  If it's clear that it was, we mark the
status as Verified.

That was the original intention of verifying issues.
Thank you, Phil,
that confirms my previous thoughts.

I can start with verifying issues for 2.21.2 today.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Phil Holmes