Re: GSoC 2020: Shape-note notehead encoding

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020: Shape-note notehead encoding
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 17:17:52 -0700

On 2020-07-23 4:28 pm, Owen Lamb wrote:
(It starts to get confusing to keep track of diagonal directions after a
while, so for the sake of clarity, I'll be talking about diamonds with
thick NE and SW sides as Calimaine, and those with thick NW and SE sides as Florington, after the states roughly in the corresponding corners of the
continental U.S. A bit fanciful, but the portmanteaus are easier to
distinguish than jumbles of capital letters.)

Hmm... "Calimaine" sounds like a lotion.

But why not "Washida"? While we have our problems up here in the Pacific Northwest, I am mildly displeased at having to be associated with Florida in the first place and more so with them getting top billing. :P

(For the record, I am a Washingtonian who lived in Florida for several years, so I have experience with both states, notwithstanding a childhood spent in Kansas, Misery [sic], and briefly New Jersey. There are few US stereotypes I have not yet had to contend with.)

-- Aaron Hill