Re: Reg test diffs for XML - noise in all tests

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Reg test diffs for XML - noise in all tests
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 11:13:05 +0200

Hi James,

Am Samstag, den 18.07.2020, 09:51 +0100 schrieb James Lowe:
> Hello,
>
> Since a few days ago I am now nearly always getting two or four reg test
> diffs show, albeit just for cell counts, for XML tests.
>
> See example attached.
>
> It's not stopping me doing anything but it does add noise and I
> wondered, as there are no image diffs ever for XML tests, if this is
> pointing to something more serious or potentially problematic?

thanks for raising this. Since MR !230, 'make check' started comparing
the regression tests for musicxml and there should be image diffs in
case of changes (see the long output of 'make check' for !230 which
also contained the fix for chords).

I guess the cell count diffs have always been there, just not noticed
due to lack of comparison. In the past, I also found the counts to be
very dependent on the number of processes and file ordering, ie the
order LilyPond processes the input. I haven't investigated yet if
there's a sort() missing somewhere...
Moreover, cell counts won't be available with Guile v2.x (at least the
property 'total-cells-allocated doesn't exist anymore). Would anybody
object to dropping this for Guile v1.8 already? That would potentially
also simplify the introduction of automated regression test comparison
in the CI pipeline...

Jonas