Re: GSoC 2020: make hangs when making fonts

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020: make hangs when making fonts
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 02:00:47 +0200

Owen Lamb <owendlamb@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> It appears that my problem was just a newbie mistake after all.
>
> Near the end of last week (Thursday or Friday, it must have been), I
> decided to try out Hyper-V on my machine, just to see what it could do. I
> didn't end up doing anything with it, but I didn't get rid of it, either. I
> never drew the connection until today, when I decided to try running my
> LilyDev installation on Hyper-V instead of VirtualBox as a last resort. It
> was pretty slow, but make passed without errors. Then I finally realized
> that two VM systems on the same machine might not actually play well with
> each other! *facepalm*
>
> I uninstalled Hyper-V (and WSL, which has been sitting unused on my
> computer for a few months) and uninstalled/reinstalled VirtualBox. Sure
> enough, everything works perfectly again.
>
> Thomas, Jean, Michael, and Jonas, I'm sorry to have wasted your time like
> this. I appreciate how willing you've been to help me out, though, and I
> hope you all have a great rest of your summer (or winter for those in the
> Southern Hemisphere).

Well, I'd wished to say that the beginner's mistake would have been
running something with a registry as host system, but then with the
advent of systemd as a Linux system component, the comparison has become
lots murkier.  Managing conflicts has become black magic.  Linux tends
to work more reliable magic, but either way there is too much happening
behind the scenes.