Re: [lilypond-book] @format environments

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Re: [lilypond-book] @format environments
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 15:21:54 +0200

Am 30.06.2020 um 09:23 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
@format
@exampleindent 0
@verbatim
\relative {
a4 b c d
}
@end verbatim
@end format

[...]

What I do not understand here: The @verbatim environment is not
indented by default, as far as I can see.  What is the reason to set
'@exampleindent 0', here?

(And the enclosing @format environment to scope the effect of
@exampleindent 0)
I think this was implemented to work around bugs in older texinfo
distributions.  In particular, the `makeinfo` binary and the
`texinfo.tex` file often did different things; IIRC, the code above
ensured identical behaviour for HTML, info, and PDF output.

This has improved a lot meanwhile and could be simplified.
Hi Werner,
please see the attached files for a test case, the renderings were done
with:
PDF:  (texinfo.tex from current texinfo master)
texi2pdf verbatim.texi
INFO:
makeinfo verbatim.texi
HTML:
texi2any --set-customization-variable TEXI2HTML=1 verbatim.texi

All utils from texinfo 6.5.

AFAICS, they behave similarly w.r.t. @verbatim without
@format
@exampleindent 0
@end format

What I did not test, however, was texi2html-1.82.

So I would vote to make

@noindent
[Version string if needed]
@verbatim
@end verbatim

the default setting for verbatim snippets in texinfo.

I already made some tests with a patched version of lilypond-book and
could not
spot differences, at least in the PDF manuals.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Michael