Re: Pedal cautionary after a line break (current status and improvements

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Pedal cautionary after a line break (current status and improvements)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 17:25:05 -0700

Paolo Prete <paolopr976@gmail.com> writes:

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 6:00 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>
wrote:

So, in order to produce a concrete result, at least the point 2) should be accepted / understood. This is what I tried to do, but the thread seems to go in the opposite way. This is why I think that opening a ticket would be unuseful for now and I did not open it. But if you think it could be useful,
        be free (of course) to open it ...
This is precisely the heart of the question. LilyPond development
    is
(mostly) not driven by the importance of issues but rather by
    pleasure and
interest. Which means that you just need one person willing to
    spend time on
piano pedals − and skilled enough for that − regardless of the
    issue's
weight. That can happen now, or in months or in years, who knows.
    In the
most extreme cases, issues can be resolved a decade after they
    were
    reported. Look at the one David Stephen Grant fixed just two
    weeks ago:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1722
    https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/119
This is why issues are so essential. They help organize work on a
    long time frame.
By the way, the Type::Enhancement label expresses no judgement
    about wether the
    issue is a major one. It's to be understood as opposed to
    Type::Defect: this ticket
is about an enhancement because the current output is consistent
    and there is
    no crash.
I opened https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6005 .
I would not proceed in this way.
The lack of a cautionary pedal on a bracket could be seen as an
enhancement only in a self-referential context, which doesn't make
sense to me. A proper way to proceed is to check what modern
professional engravers do with it, and check as a consequence if
Lilypond is coherent with them (-> common practice)
AFAIK nobody uses a bracket without a starting word in professional engraving, it would have too many bad side effects. And opening an issue as an enhancement IMHO will weaken the urgency of fixing this.

Best,

Certainly you're right that it's an "enhancement" only in a self-referential context. But that was already the meaning of Jean's message; when you decide to use *any* complex software that's developed by volunteers, you must accept that this same self-referential point of view is going to prevail. It's just part of the way humans are. The main exception is when someone is bothered by an irritating defect that he cares about, in some software that he cares about; he refuses to accept that the situation might stay this way, and finally he gets so impatient or angry that he learns the necessary programming language and fixes the problem himself. (Who knows? That example might be you!)

There's an old joke: When free software is defective, the users are entitled to a full refund. :)

--
David Rogers