Re: Pedal cautionary after a line break (current status and improvements

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Pedal cautionary after a line break (current status and improvements)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 22:49:51 +0200

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:32 PM Kieren MacMillan <
kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> > I don't understand what you mean exactly, in the choral pieces.
>
> A cappella choral pieces don’t include piano music, and therefore don’t
> include any piano pedal markings, and therefore don’t use or need the
> feature you’re describing — therefore, they are one of the [uncountable!]
> number of scores that are counterexamples to your claim that this feature
> is "an essential feature for any score".

Hi Kieren,

This observation is pleonastic. When I wrote "any score" I intended the
context of the thread (cuationary pedals on brackets). Words must always be
interpreted on the basis of what the context suggests.

> I would estimate that I see cautionary markings in less than 50% of the
> [professional, published] scores in which the only pedal used is the
> sustain pedal. And of course, if no pedal brackets are used (e.g., if the
> piece simply states "Ped ad lib." or something similar), the feature you
> describe is again unnecessary/unessential.

Of course the thread was about a cautionary pedal on a bracket, as the
snippets show, and I am not aware of scores that do not use it. Could you
point out some of them? (In any case it would be a *really* bad editorial
practice)

Best,