Re: new procedure with GitLab CI

From: Joram Noeck
Subject: Re: new procedure with GitLab CI
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 14:08:31 +0200

Am 07.06.20 um 12:30 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
> The real problem merge commits pose in my eyes is that they can
> make 'git bisect' more difficult. I'm not an expert here, so I'll
> ask the question: would it make 'git bisect' completely unusable?
> Or just complicate it only in some specific cases?

Git bisect also works with merge commits. There are some tricky
situations in which git bisect needs some extra care but it is not
unusable in general.

Some relevant reading on it might include:
https://gist.github.com/canton7/3737126
https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-bisect-lk2009.html

Personally, I like rebasing for small local commits to keep the history
simple and clean. But use merges if that is what is going on, e.g.
merging a feature branch (existing on remote) into the main branch. I
always found it helpful to reflect in git what actually happens.

Cheers,
Joram