Re: Parallelizing the CI doc build

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Parallelizing the CI doc build
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 19:45:42 -0400

On Jun 6, 2020, at 16:03, Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 06.06.2020, 15:47 -0400 schrieb Dan Eble:
>> On Jun 6, 2020, at 15:26, Dan Eble <dan@faithful.be> wrote:
>>> split the doc stage of the build into multiple stages that can be run in
>>> parallel on different runners
>>
>> For example, assigning each runner one or more languages to build.
>
> In my understanding, invocations of lilypond-book for different
> languages share compiled snippets. By splitting into multiple jobs,
> you'd compile them repeatedly, probably at least offsetting the gain
> from parallelism.

I tried it.

    60% building one language
    40% building the remaining ten languages

So running with two equally capable runners would add 60% to the total resource
use and save 20% of real time.  That's pretty unappealing on its own, and we
don't actually have matched runners.  It still finishes soonest when the
fastest runner takes the whole pipeline.
—
Dan