Re: GitLab access

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GitLab access
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 13:26:31 +0200

Valentin Villenave <valentin@villenave.net> writes:

> On 5/28/20, Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> wrote:
>> In some ways, this is akin to a job interview
>
> Gosh, I really hope it isn’t!!  My apologies if you’ve been seeing it that
> way.
>
>> It is counter-productive for me to use my
>> time and talents to fill a role that does not need filling.
>
> That’s hardly been the way our community works; the only era were
> there were “roles” was nearly a decade ago when Graham tried to put
> together a bug triaging team and a doc editing team -- since then,
> we’ve happily gone from the cathedral to the bazaar again.

That is a rather positive spin on "since then, organisational efforts
have fallen apart with many areas no longer getting the necessary
attention".

It's always been a voluntary effort for everyone involved and people
chose what they wanted to do rather than get assigned to it.  I did not
see it as a bad thing that Graham maintained a list of efforts that
wanted to be doing, but it's not like anybody was forced to do anything.
I think it rather saved people efforts finding and identifying their
place rather than otherwise.

And it did not involve job interviews and role assignments either: he
defined roles, but people picked their choice from there.