GSoC 2020 update

From: Owen Lamb
Subject: GSoC 2020 update
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 13:58:19 -0700

Hi all!

I pushed the new dev/lamb/GSoC-2020 branch to origin yesterday, and it
appears to be visible on GitLab. I haven't committed anything new yet, but
I will soon. I'll push any commits I make at the end of each work day.

I plan to give updates regularly every Friday. So far I have been
investigating open-type-font.cc as an entrypoint for changing the encoding,
but I'll have a more detailed report then.

I have a couple questions in the meantime:

I plan to temporarily add the Bravura font to my lilypond branch for
testing SMuFL throughout the summer. Is there any legal reason not to (or
at least to .gitignore it so it only appears on my machine)? It appears to
be licensed under OFL 1.1, just like Feta, but I'd just like to make sure
I'm not accidentally breaking any laws as I work publicly.

This next one is a minor annoyance and probably a C++ newbie question, but
my IDE (VS Code, chosen for comfort) is reporting "a
dynamically-initialized local static variable is not allowed inside of a
statement expression" about a million times throughout the .cc files,
whenever particular #define'd macros, e.g. ly_symbol2scm or get_property,
are referenced. From what I know, macros aren't dynamically initialized,
are they? Does anyone know why this might be happening? This doesn't seem
to affect compilation, so I can easily ignore the red squiggly lines, but
if there's a way to get rid of them, I'm all ears.

And, of course, if you have any comments or suggestions about anything
else, please let me know!

Thanks,
Owen