Re: [RFC] Enabling GitLab CI

From: James
Subject: Re: [RFC] Enabling GitLab CI
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 12:16:36 +0100

On 21/05/2020 12:02, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
so a next step might be making the countdown process more
continuous.

What does that mean - even conceptually?

The countdown is specifically to allow everyone some time to breathe and digest patches submitted without the fear of having to be always-on and missing anything. I understand the 'jam' on countdown days, but honestly how is having a countdown every day (or continuously) going to change that?

I think this was touched on before, when you came back into the development group didn't seem to get the point of what my role was for in regard to countdowns.

I know that other developers have been frustrated with the countdown as well (at least at first) and while I appreciate that not all patches need that much of a review, it has been evident even in these these last few weeks that some things you have felt trivial or self-evident has lead to much discussion and debate.

Also note that I currently do a 2 day countdown now (mainly because I have the scope working from home), the original idea of the countdown was for 4 days as that was felt to give enough time for everyone to see a submitted patch AND give it consideration AND continue to develop at the same time. We have more devlopers and many more patches than then and we're alreadyt working on a shorter countdown.

So please remember the point of countdown, it's a deliberate braking system to stop rushing things through that some might want to care about. That doesn't mean I need to do it, but neither does it mean we need 'continuous' countdown (whatever that means).

Thanks.

James