README.md (was: migrating to GitLab)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: README.md (was: migrating to GitLab)
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 09:54:38 +0200

Hello all,

although I have admittedly been pretty much silent about all this I
would like to ask about getting access to the LilyPond repository in
the new place as well. My user name there is urs.liska.

One thing I noted while setting up my account is that we don't have a
README.md in the root directory. Is this by any conscious decision or
simply because nobody has done it or started a discussion yet?

I think having such a file as a first - auto-formatted - introduction
on a repository's entry page is a common expectation for any visitor of
this kind of platform. Not finding general information on the front
page would be irritating for most visitors (and potential
contributors).

This is to start a discussion of what should be on that page before
writing one and starting a Merge Request.

I think a README.md should include:

 * A general description of what LilyPond is, with a reference to the
   website and a direct link to the manuals
 * An initial overview of how to become a contributor with
    * a description of the used programming languages
    * a list of included support tools with their programming languages
      (e.g. musicxml2ly)
    * a link to the CG
    * maybe a quick reference about what we expect Merge Requests to
      look like

Best
Urs