Re: invoke-mf2pt1.sh: 7: python: not found

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: invoke-mf2pt1.sh: 7: python: not found
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 22:32:10 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 10.05.2020, 22:03 +0200 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 9:29 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, den 10.05.2020, 14:41 -0400 schrieb Dan Eble:
> > > I'm trying to upgrade the LilyDev Dockerfile to use Ubuntu 20.04 and I
> > > get this error when I try to build.  It's coming from here:
> > >
> > >     # realpath doesn't exist on OSX
> > >     realpath() {
> > >       python -c "import os; print(os.path.realpath('$1'))"
> > >     }
> > >
> > > Is there a Right Way to resolve this?  Should this call python3?  Should
> > > I change the Docker image, say by creating a symlink?  TIA.
> >
> > The short-term solution is to install python-is-python3 which will take
> > care of the symlink. Longer term, maybe the script can be made to work
> > without python? I know realpath is horrible in sh, but it could be we
> > can get around it...
>
> We need python for a host of other things, so dropping it here doesn't
> do much good. Now that we've moved to python 3, is it guaranteed that
> python3 exists?

No, we are only guaranteed that configure found a suitable binary. This
may be in any location, with any name, if the user sets $PYTHON. So if
we really need it, we should use the found interpreter.

But if we can get rid of Python in invoke-mf2pt1.sh, that would be
better IMHO. As far as I understand, we just need an absolute path of
some arguments. We can do this in make already. Alternatively realpath
can be implemented "portably" by (cd $dir && pwd).

Jonas