Re: Issue #1204: Document, and add regtest for, external fonts. (issue 5

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Issue #1204: Document, and add regtest for, external fonts. (issue 557640051 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 23:24:18 +0200

Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Sonntag, den 19.04.2020, 22:16 +0200 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> address@hidden
>>  writes:

>> > Mine.
>>
>> Ok, by now it has been determined that the breakage on my system likely
>> depends on a particular fontconfig version.  However, there are a few
>> other problems with that regtest that should likely show with Guile-2
>> (sometimes?).  I'll revert for now so that master builds for everyone
>> again.  That does not preclude a fixed variant to make it into master at
>> a later point of time.
>
> To avoid this from happening again, can we please have the rule that
> whoever reverts a commit or backs it out of staging is to provide
> guidance on what's actually wrong? My feeling is that we could have had
> this analysis last week already.

At that day I was having one patchy run after the other and I did go
through the log files to indicate the failed file and the error message.
I also compiled and ran this by hand and gave the error messages clearly
indicating a non-empty directory.  At some point of time, I dropped the
shoe.  It did not help my focus at that time that Han-Wen was fighting a
contribution of mine nail and tooth.

A "rule" would not have helped since I did not end up dropping the shoe
out of malice.  I went back several times to the problem, just not often
enough to get a final diagnosis.  At some point of time I had to sleep.

Once we determine that I am endangering the project with my wanton
recklessness, we might try reining me in with rules.  And since
basically no-one else bothers reverting commits or backing them out of
staging, such rules would pretty much apply only to me.

It's not like we have an abundance of people to commandeer here.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".