Re: poll: switching our development platform

From: pkx166h
Subject: Re: poll: switching our development platform
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 02:32:26 +0100

Hello,

On 15/04/2020 23:08, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 9:44 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
To conclude, I believe we should choose one of Gerrit and GitLab and
have a trial to see if the processes can be carried over. (If not, we
can still give the other platform a try.)
IIRC, Gerrit was not really tracking issues and thus would be a fill-in
rather just for the Rietveld part of our current setup rather than also
covering the SourceForge angle.  Do I remember wrong here?
You are correct, but we use sf in large part for managing the patch
flow (review vs push vs wait), and that aspect can be covered with
Gerrit features completely.

One thing that Rietveld does not do (and, as far as my very quick and cursory browsing of Gerrit's website, does not seem to either) is handle image attachments (pngs, jpegs etc).

I don't know if this is useful or not to developers - i.e. reg test diffs and examples of new features showing music or bug/ugly notation output problems - obviously as LilyPond's /raison d'etre/ is about what things look like, how tedious is this going to be as 'shared links' often expire or end up broken after a period of time?

Also a lot of time can be saved for those on the lists and for that a random internet Joe who wants to report a bug or problem and can look something up relatively easily to see if it has already been been reported, again Rietveld is not useful for this and I cannot see how functional Gerrit is for this either.

Regards

James