Re: Tidy check on Ubuntu Xenial

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Tidy check on Ubuntu Xenial
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 16:16:33 -0400

On Mar 14, 2020, at 15:26, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

> In my docker install of Ubuntu Xenial, I see the following failure,
> apparently coming from tidy.
>
> creating
> /lilypond/out/test-results/input/regression/out-test-baseline/test-output-distance.png
> creating
> /lilypond/out/test-results/input/regression/out-test/test-output-distance.png
> Validating
> /lilypond/out/test-results/input/regression/out-test/test-output-distance.details.html
> line 6 column 1 - Warning: <meta> proprietary attribute "charset"
> line 6 column 1 - Warning: <meta> lacks "content" attribute
> line 9 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
> make: *** [local-check] Error 1
>
> $ docker run --rm -it lilypond-base-ubuntu dpkg -l tidy
> ..
> ii  tidy                        20091223cvs-1.5    amd64
> HTML syntax checker and reformatter
>

> For now, I can work around this by removing tidy, but do we really
> need this dependency? It also looks like it introduces some extra
> makefile complexity.

Tidy is specified as OPTIONAL in configure.ac.  The reason it is there is that
I found it valuable when I was working on output-distance.py several months
ago, but you should be able to omit it from your Docker image and everything
should still work.  You just won't be checking the generated HTML.

I assume the warnings are incorrect, otherwise you would be asking for help to
fix them rather than asking whether checking the HTML is valuable.  Is that
assumption correct?

If these are false positives coming from the version of tidy provided with
Xenial, then I think it would make sense for the configure script to avoid
using that version of tidy.  The level of makefile complexity involved is minor.
—
Dan