Re: Added transition lines for lyrics (issue 565750043 by address@hidden

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Added transition lines for lyrics (issue 565750043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 19:44:39 -0400

On Mar 8, 2020, at 11:21, address@hidden wrote:

> I think it would be better to do this as something that doesn't require
> special syntax at first, ie. some identifier.
>
> We can always add special syntax later, if this becomes a very popular
> feature.

+1.  In the meantime, the minority of users who want an abbreviation can define
one, right?

> Also, it looks like the transition-engraver is almost a literal copy of
> the hyphen engraver. Wouldn't this be much simpler if you'd implement
> the transition as a layout tweak to a hyphen? You'd get something like:
>
>  vowelTransition = \once \override LyricVoice.LyricHyphen.style =
> #'transition
>
>  a \vowelTranstion — b

I agree that lots of duplication is something that should be avoided, but so is
the conflation of style and meaning.  A lyric hyphen separates syllables; this
arrow thing means something more.

It reminds me of the abuse of rehearsal marks for several categories of
instructions.  You build up a body of work full expedient little tricks; then
one day you want to move all your "D.C." marks, but not your rehearsal marks,
to the other side of the staff in certain scores; and then you learn what a
mess it really was from the beginning.

I haven't looked at the code, but maybe factoring out shared functions would
help reduce duplication.
—
Dan