Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options"
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2020 11:10:53 +0100 (CET)

>> As I said: I believe the proper action is to make LilyPond's
>> `configure` script emit a warning if it finds GUILE_CONFIG set.
>
> I disagree: Why do we have to keep everything compatible for a new
> *major* release like it used to be in the past?  That's very
> prohibitive of any substantial change.

Well, *some* courtesy to users is not a bad thing :-)

To be serious: Given that selecting and configuring guile is essential
to LilyPond we should help users with the transition to pkg-config as
much as possible.  Adding a warning is just a few lines of code in
`configure.ac`, and it reduces potential headaches.

    Werner