Re: Issue 5788: New French Beamimg Approach (issue 557500043 by address@

From: torsten . haemmerle
Subject: Re: Issue 5788: New French Beamimg Approach (issue 557500043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 06:02:27 -0800

On 2020/02/25 13:33:13, lemzwerg wrote:
> If you really wanted 'i.e.' without a trailing comma, it would be
necessary to
> write 'i.e.@:'.  Otherwise makeinfo  inserts two spaces in the '.info'
file
> because we don't use '@frenchspacing' in the English docs.

Thanks for the valuable explanation.  That's usual business for me in
TeX,
but I'll have to admit that I'm not so much into texinfo.
Anyway: I'll use the American version (with comma).

> 'being' would be correct if you continued the previous sentence.
However, you
> are starting a new one, so you have to use a verb (in a normal form).

Aaaargh, yes, of course.  That's what's happening when altering a text
back
and forth, and you're perfectly right, of course.  I must have been
blind.

> I was probably unclear.  What I want is an example that shows how the
> 'french-correction' *property* changes the input.  This is (a) to
execute the
> code path, and (b) a visualization of the property change.

Ah, now I see your point.
I'll add a new regression test comparing standard and French beaming.
In the existing "stand-alone" French beaming tests, the up-to-now wrong
stem lengths had always been there, but nobody noticed due to lack of
comparison.

I'll upload a new patch set as soon as the Naming of the Shrew has
finally
been decided upon (french-correction -> stem-end-shorten?,
French-shorten?)

Cheers,
Torsten

https://codereview.appspot.com/557500043/