Re: Add a cooperative FS lock to lilypond-book. (issue 555360043 by addr

From: jonas . hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Add a cooperative FS lock to lilypond-book. (issue 555360043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 07:59:14 -0800

On 2020/02/23 15:54:54, hanwenn wrote:
> I think this is worth it because it simplifies the build system, and
puts the
> locking in the place where we actually access the resource.

Let me disagree: It complicates lilypond-book with something that no
(external) user of the script cares about. So IMHO adding brittle
locking requires more justification than that.

> I take your point about dropped files; the best would be fcntl locks,
but I am
> worried that they might not be supported on windows. Would you know?
>
> Maybe we can just use fcntl locks on unix, and Windows users should
just not try
> to run parallel lp-book invocations.

Can we please first take a step back and see how much benefit there
actually is?

https://codereview.appspot.com/555360043/