Re: Issue 5773: Quarter Tones for all Languages incl. MusicXML import (i

From: torsten . haemmerle
Subject: Re: Issue 5773: Quarter Tones for all Languages incl. MusicXML import (issue 577520043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 03:50:34 -0800

Reviewers: lemzwerg,

Message:

https://codereview.appspot.com/577520043/diff/555310043/python/musicexp.py

https://codereview.appspot.com/577520043/diff/555310043/python/musicexp.py#oldcode365
> python/musicexp.py:365: "nederlands": pitch_nederlands,
> You are sorting the entries alphabetically except for Dutch.  Is there
a reason
> for this?

Yes, there are several reasons:
* Dutch is LilyPond's mother tongue and thus the default language.
* This is the sorting order found in define-note-names.scm
* This is the sorting order found in Documentation, too (cf.
pitches.itely)
That's why I put nederlands in the first place.
Off-Topic: This is like in traditional German university curricula:
Theology first, and only after that: all others in alphabetical order.
;)

https://codereview.appspot.com/577520043/diff/555310043/scm/define-note-names.scm

https://codereview.appspot.com/577520043/diff/555310043/scm/define-note-names.scm#newcode1416
> scm/define-note-names.scm:1416: '((català catalan)(español
espanol)(português
> portugues)))
> I would use spaces between ')('.
You're definitely right.
As it is a mere cosmetic change without any technical impact, I've
updated my local branch
accordingly, but will refrain from uploading a new patch here.

Cheers,
Torsten

Issue 5773: Quarter Tones for all Languages incl. MusicXML import

modified:   scm/define-note-names.scm
- Missing quarter-tone definitions added, now all languages are
complete.
- Slightly changed sort order of norsk so that the commonly used forms
  (the ones with doulbe-s) are in front of the less common forms.
- Proper language names consistently introduced (català and português
added)

modified:   python/musicexp.py
- Complete set of language-specific pitch conversions.
- Order of lanuages corresponding to the "standard" LilyPond order.

modified:   scripts/musicxml2ly.py
- Map input parameter -l (language) values to UTF-8 language names.

modified:   Documentation/changes.tely
- Announce new language names
- Announce complete set of quarter-tone definitions

modified:   Documentation/ca/notation/pitches.itely
modified:   Documentation/de/notation/pitches.itely
modified:   Documentation/es/notation/pitches.itely
modified:   Documentation/fr/notation/pitches.itely
modified:   Documentation/it/notation/pitches.itely
modified:   Documentation/ja/notation/pitches.itely
modified:   Documentation/notation/pitches.itely

Notation
1.1.1 Writing pitches
Note names in other languages
- Tables unified and completed in all languages
- Remarks about missing quarter-tone definitions removed

Please review this at https://codereview.appspot.com/577520043/

Affected files (+730, -381 lines):
  M Documentation/ca/notation/pitches.itely
  M Documentation/changes.tely
  M Documentation/de/notation/pitches.itely
  M Documentation/es/notation/pitches.itely
  M Documentation/fr/notation/pitches.itely
  M Documentation/it/notation/pitches.itely
  M Documentation/ja/notation/pitches.itely
  M Documentation/notation/pitches.itely
  M python/musicexp.py
  M scm/define-note-names.scm
  M scripts/musicxml2ly.py