Re: Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options (issue 569390043 by a

From: jonas . hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options (issue 569390043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 08:34:34 -0800

On 2020/02/21 16:22:52, lemzwerg wrote:
> > Mabye it makes sense to completely turn to pkg-config?
>
> Sounds sensible.  In particular, it eases cross-compilation.

Reading my mind ;-)

On 2020/02/21 16:25:02, dak wrote:
> > So this would also work for Guile 1.8 (which should either be
preferred as
> David
> > suggested or completely dropped; not sure if we're already there).
>
> How does it work?  With GUILE_CONFIG, I pass the executable as an
environment
> variable.  Admittedly, my non-system-wide Guile-1.8 (Ubuntu no longer
has
> guile-1.8-dev) contains a file
> /usr/local/tmp/guile-1.8/lib/pkgconfig/guile-1.8.pc but I don't have
an idea how
> to use it.

 $ man pkg-config
ENVIRONMENT
     PKG_CONFIG_PATH
             List of secondary directories where ‘.pc’ files are looked
up.

     PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR
             List of primary directories where ‘.pc’ files are looked
up.

You'd want PKG_CONFIG_PATH, in your case add
/usr/local/tmp/guile-1.8/lib/pkgconfig/. Setting PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR makes
pkg-config exclude the system-wide directories like /usr/lib/pkgconfig
(which is very convenient for cross-compilation!).

https://codereview.appspot.com/569390043/