Re: event queue with thread for c++

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: event queue with thread for c++
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2020 18:44:39 +0100

> On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 4:23 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> > Does this already solve your needs?
>>

> I found a way, using pthread_create.  Unfortunately, it's doesn't really
> work, because there is no way to discover the size of the live set.

Frankly, if a sophisticated garbage collector is not capable of working
reasonably without extensive help when running for an application that
has no really extraordinary behavior, there is something wrong.  I think
we even do call gc manually between files, when utilisation is expected
to be low.  Given that the GC is somewhat reputed, I doubt that these
online-tuning tricks will give a major boost in performance.  I think
the best we can hope for is getting a reasonably fitting set of initial
parameters.  At least that should save us from runaway conditions.  Or
if not, we have someone we can blame for it.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".