Re: Issue 5740: Add \post to defer context actions to end of time step (

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Issue 5740: Add \post to defer context actions to end of time step (issue 581600043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 17:03:25 +0100

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 4:43 PM <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2020/02/07 09:19:03, hanwenn wrote:
> > On 2020/02/06 14:29:55, Dan Eble wrote:
> > More code means more maintenance liability, so unless
> > it either solves a problem, or it simplifies the existing system, it
> would be a
> > net negative.
>
> You're preaching to the choir.

Thanks; sorry for the lecture.

> I would really like the problem defined before we try solving it.
> [...]
> > I hope I am not demoralizing you
>
> It's a good thing you threw in that last part, because from over here it
> was sounding rather like you resented my posting this for review.  I'll
> try to keep my reply descriptive.

 I was confused by the review, because it both claims to be experimental
("maybe never"), but also asks questions that are only relevant if this is
going to be a bona fide feature (editor configs, naming). The latter part
motivated the lecture.

I have seen that mailing-list discussions on detailed design--even for
> features people recognize they need, but especially for those they
> don't--do not go far or fast.  I suppose it's because few people have
> the level of familiarity, the current interest, or the time to devote to
> written communication on those topics.  I'm not blaming them; it's just
> my diagnosis.  Posting a review gives them something concrete to comment
> on, and that gets a discussion going.
>
> I have the sense that most of my successful contributions have gone this
> way.  Is this approach as effective as one that might be taken by a
> professional software development team?  No, but my code is in LilyPond.
>  Are the factors that make this the most effective approach in this
> context going to change?  Not likely.

You have a good point, but hopefully, I will be able to make enough time to
comment on technical feasibility so design questions can get better answers
henceforth.