[RFC] Commit message format

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: [RFC] Commit message format
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 16:39:21 +0100

Currently, on push most our commit messages look like:

    Issue XXX: Subject

    Body
    Body

There are a couple of downsides to this format:

* The number takes up space in the

    git log --format=short

  output

* The number is meaningless without the site that hosts the tracker

Proposal
=======

I would like to propose a different format,

    Subject

    Body
    Body

    Link to code review
    Link to issue

By embedding the links, we offer something clickable to whomever is
browsing the commit message.

Somewhat relatedly, I would like to propose to use SHA1s + subject
lines to refer to previous changes, rather than issue numbers, eg.

   04a0dc ("Disable Python's hash randomization")

this makes the reference impervious to problems with the issue tracker
(network outage, renumbering due to server migrations, etc). Including
the subject line makes it easier to intuitively understand what is going on.

Finally, I want to encourage everyone to write Why something was
changed rather What. One can deduce what changed by looking at the
commit message.  It is much harder to fathom Why some change was
necessary.