Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 20:08:44 +0000

On 06/02/2020 15:37, David Kastrup wrote:
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

I'd like to recommend that everyone argues with him [David K.], if
you think he is wrong.  Otherwise take his posts literal and _not_
offending.
That's it.
But new contributors cannot be expected to know, and also it takes time
until the emotional response aligns with that knowledge.

That is not your responsibility. Nor should you have to care what others think about you. As far as I am concerned you've put in the hard hours, seem to know what you are talking about (coming from someone who is not a programmer) and frankly, stood up to the proverbial plate to 'own' the state of the LP project all those years back when I was still getting all my commits done by Graham.

Of course that doesn't give you the right to abuse someone, but having to temper your own personality just because someone doesn't know you is exhausting, I have had personal experience of this, and it can become a real disincentive to even bother to comment let alone give advice. In the end i just 'leave' the discussion or simply don't contribute and this for my 'day job' let alone something I do in my spare time for nothing!

Besides I would also assume that new contributors would at least have 'checked out' what LP is all about and who is currently active and have read the lists to get an idea of things and would have already seen your (supposed offensive) emails.

It's good advice, like "stay away from that trapdoor in the kitchen
leading to the snake pit".  But it's still a kitchen layout that may
come unexpected.

Goodness gracious!

Do all those who feel so positive about CoCs not see how that paragraph above is just so bloody soul destroying?

I don't need a document written by a committee of people that I have no say over (i.e. what we do in the real world) and done need to be told what I can say within the LP community. I already know how to be civil, whether my brand of civility is yours, is nothing I care about.

This is just 'Thought Police' by a different name or at the very least an exercise in tedious moral relativism.

Wow.. I didn't quite realise how opposed I was to CoCs until now and I've recently have a belly-full of being told that X is good because "...everyone else is doing it" or that Y is needed because ... "...well it's just 'easier' if we do it ..." without any real justification.

Apple carts unfortunately get upset once in a while. That is just life.

James