Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 09:40:20 -0500

Hi James,

> I am still struggling to understand the point of a COC for the LP project,
> other than some kind of ... what is the term ... virtue signalling or
> something that a project does *after* someone says something that happens to
> be offensive to someone else - which is just, life isn't it?
> Really. What is the point?

Disclaimer: I’m on the fence about having a CoC.

That being said, I think the point is this: if you *are* "being an arse to
someone", there is something concrete people can point to that says "you said
you wouldn’t be an arse". Does a "No Smoking" sign stop someone from smoking?
No. But it allows the police to write that person a ticket, and potentially
escalate if the person continues to contravene the "code".

> It doesn't 'enforce' anything nor is it legally binding or has any kind of
> (real) consequence other than giving certain types of people a justification
> to impose their own sensitivities (or lack thereof) over the 'rest'.

civ·il so·ci·e·ty, n.
        • society considered as a community of citizens linked by common
interests and collective activity.

> All I can see that we've done here is waste (and I consider it a waste) time
> bikeshedding a document that just talks about 'how to be nice to people' and
> at the same time potentially worry one of our best developers because he
> might not happen to have all the social graces and just wants to 'get stuff
> done' but in doing so might offend someone with his terse emails.

Actually, it seems like the discussion has caused that developer to rethink the
form, content, and frequency of his contributions to the list, with a potential
benefit of him being able to spend his considerable gifts and precious time
elsewhere (like actually coding). If nothing else, that made the discussion
worthwhile in my opinion.

There are, of course, many other benefits I’ve already seen — if you’re
interested in talking about them, but feel it’s not worth discussing on-list,
I’m happy to discuss it with you off-list.  =)

Regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info