Re: development process

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: development process
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 08:29:40 -0500

On Feb 5, 2020, at 06:57, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Our current process is awkward technically, not because of the roles its
> human players assume.

+1(000)

For a long time, the LilyPond project has needed these:

  1. more and better automation to reduce the load on the (amazingly
     perseverant) patch tester and lower the bar for others to help
  2. better-integrated bug tracking, code review, and source control
  3. a cross-platform build that is more maintainable, faster, and
     more frequently run

And these are the proposals I've been seeing:

  1. reduced opportunity for review; reduced emphasis on consensus
  2. new roles
  3. a code of conduct
  4. a straw man or two (coming from a lack of familiarity with the
     status quo)
  5. better-integrated bug tracking, code review, and source control

There is some common ground here, but it also comes across in part as trying to
fix what's not broken.  Perhaps if you would first improve the tools and
testing, people's confidence in them would grow and they would then be more
willing to reduce the level of scrutiny on patches.
--
Dan