Re: Grow heap aggressively during music interpretation (issue 561390043

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Grow heap aggressively during music interpretation (issue 561390043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 16:08:59 +0100

Am Montag, den 03.02.2020, 09:58 -0500 schrieb Dan Eble:
> On Feb 3, 2020, at 04:30, Han-Wen Nienhuys <
> address@hidden
> > wrote:
> > Instead of waiting for complaints, a change is
> > pushed once it passes tests and someone LGTM'd it.
>
> I've worked in places where commits were handled with self-discipline and
> mutual accountability, and I've worked in places where a UI enforced
> upper-management's policy that every change had to be approved by two other
> developers before it could be merged.  I prefer self-discipline and mutual
> accountability to having to nag people with a superficial understanding of a
> change to put themselves on record as approving it.
>
> Therefore, regarding the countdown, I think it's a bad idea to require
> approval before pushing, unless we grant that the patch meister can approve
> pushing with the reason "countdown complete."
>
> Regarding accelerating the process, I wouldn't have a problem with a
> developer pushing a change after tests have passed, after receiving the clear
> approval of a developer competent in the subject, and when others aren't
> likely to disagree.

Right now, the Countdown is also the time when other developers get the
possibility to disagree. How can you know if others disagree before
they tell you?
(I worked in another project where it could happen that a patch was
accepted within 10 minutes and pushed 30 minutes after upload. No way I
can be online 24/7, and there were serious problems with the changes.)

> It would take a little more trust and clarity of feedback than always waiting
> for the countdown.  I don't expect that it would be the norm.

We already have this opportunity (see David's concurrent reply). No,
this should not be the norm and certainly is not, which is good in my
opinion.

To get forward, I'd propose a fresh thread on lilypond-devel with a
concrete proposal on what to change, its pros and cons. Discussing this
on a random review thread is just a waste of time.

Jonas