Re: Use define-syntax for define-session[-public] (issue 553480044 by ad

From: dak
Subject: Re: Use define-syntax for define-session[-public] (issue 553480044 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2020 13:37:50 -0800

https://codereview.appspot.com/553480044/diff/557280043/scm/lily.scm
File scm/lily.scm (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/553480044/diff/557280043/scm/lily.scm#newcode111
scm/lily.scm:111: "This defines a variable @var{name} with the starting
value
An interesting DOC string method...  define-syntax doesn't have anything
like that?

https://codereview.appspot.com/553480044/diff/557280043/scm/lily.scm#newcode123
scm/lily.scm:123: (define-syntax define-session
The problem with define-syntax is that in Guile-1.8, it doesn't work
properly because of some symbol changing behavior when defined, a bug
that will not get fixed any more.  I wish I'd remember what it was.  It
was something short like \once or \temporary or so.  One could use it in
the LilyPond core, but it failed in user documents.  Ah right: pretty
sure it was \void (namely the symbol 'void being bound to something).

That makes it hard for people to get acquainted with it and maintain it
in consequence.  So let's see whether we manage to muddle through in a
different manner.  Do you have a useful test case?  Should I just draw
out the define-session thing and try to convince Guile-2.0 with the
right incantations to byte compile it?  I assume this is the same in
Guile-2.2 (for which I have an Ubuntu package I don't need to compile)?

Would this give us a chance to get somewhere?

https://codereview.appspot.com/553480044/