Re: 2.91.84 - windows-only bugs

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: 2.91.84 - windows-only bugs
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 22:43:11 +0100

Am Mi., 29. Jan. 2020 um 16:41 Uhr schrieb Dan Eble <address@hidden>:

> > On Jan 29, 2020, at 10:17, Masamichi Hosoda <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> I ask because, in the german forum Arnold found a method to cure some
> >> windows-only bugs., about mis-predicted force and probably several
> >> assertion-failures:
> >> https://lilypondforum.de/index.php/topic,609.msg3463.html#msg3463
> >
> > The patch is very interesting.
>
> +  fprintf(stderr, " X87 FPU setup via asm() ... ");
> +  asm(
> +      "     push %ebp"
> +    "\n     mov  $0x027f, %eax"
> +    "\n     push %eax"
> +    "\n     mov  %esp, %ebp"
> +    "\n     fldcw (%ebp)"
> +    "\n     pop %eax"
> +    "\n     pop %ebp"
> +  );
> +  fprintf(stderr, "done.\r                                 \r");
>
> What does this do?  Is it something that could be handled portably with these
> C++11 functions?
> https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/numeric/fenv
>
> Dan

I've not the slightest idea...

To be more verbose, in the german forum Arnold posted about the problem.
While I couldn't help directly, I offered to make special
windows-installers via GUB for testing/diagnostic purposes and for the
found fix.
That's my whole part in the story.
Well, I'll shephard the patch as well and probably forward
communications, if Arnold can't do himself.

In generally we release our windows and mac version untested. Thus I
thought it's the least I can do, if someone undertakes
debugging/fixing a windows-only problem.

Best,
  Harm