Re: github mirror of lilypond?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: github mirror of lilypond?
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 08:50:23 +0100

You can think of Gerrit as Rietveld v2

This somewhat off-topic, but the main reason people dislike Gerrit is
that it requires contributors to put a Change-Id line in the bottom of
the commit message, see eg.

  https://review.gerrithub.io/c/lilypond/lilypond/+/482034

As one reworks the series of commits, the ChangeId is kept in place.
This has the advantage that you can track how a proposed change
evolves across the review process, and that you can easily submit
multi-part changes for review. In the above, I sent a stack of 7
commits for review at once.

Working with a single commit requires using commit --amend and with
multiple commits requires using rebase -i, both of which Git newbies
seems a little scared of.