Re: Cleanup initialization of configure process (issue 549350043 by addr

From: jonas . hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Cleanup initialization of configure process (issue 549350043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 00:08:26 -0800

On 2020/01/14 21:56:24, Dan Eble wrote:
On 2020/01/14 18:21:32, hahnjo wrote:
> Dan, if you don't want to run autogen.sh with a writable
~/lilypond-src, maybe
> you can instead copy all files from that directory to a fresh one in
the
> container?

If this expands to "rsync the latest changes to the build directory
before you
build; and if you forget, it builds anyway but your changes are
disregarded,"
it's unappealing.

Maybe I misunderstood your process; aren't you firing up a fresh
container for every build? If you're still doing incremental builds,
then this suggestion doesn't work obviously. Just as a thought, then you
could run autogen.sh once on the host in the beginning (or have a second
container that is allowed to write, but only runs autoconf).
But anyway, I'm not going to continue reasoning about an environment
that is so distrustful to any script that could do bad things. I can
probably live with the found solution for now, let's see how often it
causes headaches in the future.

If the current little hack threatened to grow into something awful, an
important
question to ask would be, "What's the problem with having to configure
before
building the website?"  I'm referring to this comment from early on:

> Ideally, I'd like to get rid of the VERSION completely, but
apparently you can
> build the website without configure'ing the project. I wasn't sure
if that is
> still used, so I went for this solution.

As my comment already hints to, I'm all in favor to drop (at the least
the current version number from) VERSION. I have a patch or two that get
rid of some scripts that rely on VERSION and instead use files generated
by configure. However I don't understand what "make website" does and
how it is used in production right now, so the file is not going away in
the next days. But that's not really the topic of this patch.

https://codereview.appspot.com/549350043/