Re: Savannah push access question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Savannah push access question
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 23:49:21 +0100

Dan Eble <address@hidden> writes:

> I recently started using a git GUI, GitUp, which sometimes infers that
> I might want to delete origin/staging, and offers to do it for me.
> Needless to say, I don't want that; and I've suggested in the GitUp
> issue tracker that even prompting me is a defect, in the light of this
> project's workflow.
>
> My question here is, do I need to maintain extreme caution if I
> continue using this tool?  Would the git server actually delete
> origin/staging if I hit the wrong button by mistake?

Yes, it would.  If staging does not pass tests, the way to reset it to
something else is (usually by me) to delete it and push a different
commit, usually just origin/master in order to reset it.  The only way
to remove a commit from any branch, the way the repository is set up, is
to delete the branch and push a different commit.  Even a forced push to
an existing branch will not allow to remove a commit from the Savannah
repository, so forcing the push has no effect.

So yes, every branch (including master by the way) can be deleted by any
user.  It is suggested to exercise a lot of diligence before deciding to
do so, and only doing it manually in the case it is necessary is not a
large encumbrance compared to the annoyance that may ensue.

So I'd suggest to be able to set the tool up in a manner where it will
not easily delete branches.